Welcome to the 104th edition!
The LITFL Review is your regular and reliable source for the highest highlights, sneakiest sneak peaks and loudest shout-outs from the webbed world of emergency medicine and critical care. Each week the LITFL team casts the spotlight on the best and brightest from the blogosphere, the podcast video/audiosphere and the rest of the Web 2.0 social media jungle to find the most fantastic EM/CC FOAM (Free Open Access Meducation) around.
The Most Fair Dinkum Ripper Beaut of the Week
- Top spot goes to Emergency Physicians Monthly with a thought provoking and awe inspiring post on Dying, Naturally, in the Emergency Department. How to walk a dying patient and their family through an unimpeded natural death in the emergency department.
The LITFL Review Top Picks
- RSI haemodynamics in the field – interesting study… How much harm could we be causing during intubation?
- Cliff takes us through one of the holy grails of critical care in Predicting volume responsiveness.
- Difficult intubation on ICU – no wonder there having complications when capnography was only being used 46% of the time – doesn’t seem like the standard of care to me.
- Awake intubation – When one of the masters of EMCC education becomes a dummy! – Some tips on topicalise your awake intubation patient!
- Are vasopressors effective therapy in calcium channel blocker overdose? – The old school approach might be just as good as the new, just not as cool – interesting read!
- Metformin overdose and hypoglycemia – Be aware: metformin overdose can cause hypoglycemia in the absence of other glucose-lowering drugs, and blood glucose levels should be monitored closely.
- It’s Good to Talk – Debrief in the Emergency Department – brilliant summary of what debriefing is, and how to get the most out of it in the emergency department setting.
- Is the picture starting to get clearer…. Cullen on high sensitivity Troponin.
- Handheld Ultrasound – this really is taking the probe to the bedside, anywhere in any place!
- Toxicology for PGY1+2 – Nice intro summary on the basics of toxicology for the junior staff.
- The airway masters Jim Ducanto handles a tonsillar bleed airway and shares some pearls along the way.
- Emergency Surgical Airway with Dr Keith Greenland as he shares his research focusing on the non-technical skills of the CICV scenario.
- Trauma Pearl: Unexpected Respiratory Failure After Blunt Trauma. Bottom line: Unexplained respiratory failure after blunt trauma, especially if no chest injury has occurred, is nearly always due to a missed abdominal injury.
- Don’t Ignore The Naughty Bits – Remember to take a look downstairs on your next trauma patient – you might be surprised by the injuries you find.
- a test of metal… all wrapped up in a toxicology conundrum. Nice review on recognising and managing chronic lithium toxicity.
- Kids are becoming more and more like “little adults” Are you prepared to manage Hypertensive Crisis in Kids?
- Diarrhea and Dehydration – Some great pearls here especially on how to communicate this issue to the family.
- Life after death: the long term outcome of ED thoracotomy survivors – The results may surprise some of you!
- Emergentology: Your Emergency Family – or team. We all bring something to the family of the emergency department, and its generally something very special, and I love being part of that.
- Superb review on were we are at in the management of The Crush Syndrome…expect the unexpected….
- Janus General and Service Update – EMCrit creates his own virtual hospital to discuss and share cases, all in the process of maintaining confidentiality and providing some amazing FOAMed.
- Cyclic (Tricyclic) Antidepressant Overdose – There on the way back, and heading to an ED near you! Are you prepared to manage the dread TCA overdose?
- Investigation of Pediatric Headaches – Not an easy task, but this podcast certainly puts you on the right track.
Intensive Care Network
- Harris on Oxidative Stress – What is it? Why is it important? SMACC head honcho Roger Harris gives us the low down on it!
- Prevent trache deaths – Excellent podcast on dealing with issues and emergencies in patients with tracheostomies! Worth a listen!
- DKA presenting as Wide Complex Tachcyardia – Start the insulin and check the K!
- Atypical Chest Pain: Suspicious ECG, and a Left Main ACS is found in a 30-something-year-old!
- Rodney Dangerfield revealed! Here’s the scoop on STE in aVR.
The LITFL Review Shout Out of the Week
Scott Weingart’s opening talk on “The Essence of Critical Care” sets the scene for the entire conference and captures the spirit of critical care.
Also go to Resus.ME for the amazing Cliff Reid talk on: ‘Making things Happen” ( check out the slides and other supporting references, links and resources too) and ICN for the legendary John Myburgh’s evidence and opinion packed talk on ‘Catecholamines, Resuscitation and Resurrection’.
The GMEP Cases of the week
GMEP Video of the week
Twee Dee and Twitical Care
News from the Fastlane
- Want to search, find and look for everything FOAMed? Then check out – GoogleFOAM!
- Emergency Medicine Update May 2013 – Another awesome review of the literature.
- R&R In The FASTLANE 031 – with another great guide to papers that you should read, not just know about.
The Final Words
LITFL Review EM/CC Educational Social Media Round Up
123Sonography.com — Academic Life in Emergency Medicine — Adventure Medicine— A Life at Risk — All LA Conference — Al Sacchetti’s Youtube — Bedside Ultrasound — Better in Emergency Medicine —boringem—Broome Docs— CCM-L.org — — Critical Care Perspectives in EM — Dave on Airways —DrGDH — Dr Smith’s ECG Blog — ECG Academy — ECG Guru — ECG of the Week—ED Exam —ED-Nurse— EDTCC — EKG Videos— EM Basic — EM Core Content — EMCrit— EM CapeTown — EMDutch — Emergency Medical Abstract —EM Journey—EMERJENCYWEBB –EmergencyLondon — Emergency Medicine Cases — Emergency Medicine Education —Emergency Medicine News— Emergency Medicine Ireland — Emergency Medicine Tutorials—Emergency Medicine Updates —EM on the Edge —Emergucate —EM Journey — emimdoc — EM Literature of Note — empem.org — EMpills — Emergency Physicians Monthly — EM Lyceum — EMProcedures — EMRAP — EMRAP: Educators’ Edition — EMRAP.TV — EM REMS — ER CAST — EXPENSIVECARE — Free Emergency Medicine Talks — — Gmergency!—Got Resuscitation— Greater Sydney Area HEMS — HQmeded.com — ICU Rounds — Impactednurse —Injectable Orange — Intensive Care Network — iTeachEM — IVLine — keepcaring — Keeping Up With Emergency Medicine — KeeWeeDoc — KI Docs— LipheLongLurnERdok — MDaware — MD+ CALC — MedEDMasters — Medical Education Videos — Medicina d’urgenza — Medicine for the Outdoors — Micrognome — Movin’ Meat — Neurointensive Care — Pediatric EM Morsels — PEM ED — PEMLit —PEMTweets Blog — PHARM — Practical Evidence — Priceless Electrical Activity — Procedurettes — PulmCCM.org — Radiology Signs — Radiopaedia — Resus.com.au — Resus.ME — Resus Review — — Resus Room Management — Richard Winters’ Physician Leadership —ruralflyingdoc — SCANCRIT — SCCM Blogs — SCCM Podcast — SEMEP — SinaiEM — SinaiEM Ultrasound — SMART EM — SOCMOB — SonoSpot — StEmylns — Takeokun — thebluntdissection—The Central Line — The Ember Project —The Emergency Medicine Resident Blog — The NNT — The Poison Review — The Sharp End — The Short Coat —The Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine — The Sono Cave – The Trauma Professional’s Blog — underneathEM.com — ToxTalk — TJdogma — Twin Cities Toxicology — Ultrarounds — UMEM Educational Pearls —Ultrasound Podcast — Ultrasound Village