Welcome to the majestic 96th edition!
The LITFL Review is your regular and reliable source for the highest highlights, sneakiest sneak peaks and loudest shout-outs from the webbed world of emergency medicine and critical care. Each week the LITFL team casts the spotlight on the best and brightest from the blogosphere, the podcast video/audiosphere and the rest of the Web 2.0 social media jungle to find the most fantastic EM/CC FOAM (Free Open Access Meducation) around.
The Most Fair Dinkum Ripper Beaut of the Week
- Top spot is an absolute ripper on Critical Care Palliation with Ashley Shreves – This is the best ED critical care palliative care lecture ever! Don’t believe me? Then watch it!
The LITFL Review Top Picks
- What does chicken bombs and muppets have to do with resuscitation and critical care – you will be very surprised and entertained!
- The importance of first pass success in decreasing adverse event when it comes to securing that tube!
- Injecting into the (Carpal) Tunnel – To inject or not to inject- something new, something different!
- Casey wants a Clinical question answered : Can a TIA cause syncope? Your thoughts? Tricky one hey!
- The Grim World of ALTE – Most probably not the best paper to read on this, because it isn’t really going to help your practice.
- What do you do with a 12yo having a second seizure? Or if your nanny has a first seizure? Practical answers in 13 minutes.
- PHARM Podcast 61 : Rapid Sequence Intubation -interview with Canadian ED Physician Yen Chow on RSI!
- Airway Trolley Design – How an airway trolley really should look like!
- FOAMEd with a little help from my friends! – Minh shares with us a recent conference presentation he gave on the wonderful world of FOAMed!
Academic Life in Emergency Medicine
- Trick of the Trade: Umbilical foreign body removal – Not something your going to be doing every shift- but a handy tip!
- Writing a Medical Simulation Case – Nikita shares with us her 11 easy steps to have you dominating your next simulation challenge!
- PV card: Bell’s Palsy Treatment – The roid vs antiviral debates continues even in a PV card!
- Gastric lavage? Fuggedaboutit! – No evidence and i doubt anyone has the expertise in the procedure!
- Review of Z-drug toxicology – Nice review on managing these non benzo sedatives!
- Just a bump on the head. Case of the week at St.Emlyn’s – Great case study remember these 3 pearls:
Remember that the head is connected to the neck.
Remember that patients do not always present on day 1, even with significant traumatic pathology.
That sometimes not getting a CT leads to more radiation for the patient.
- ICE 005 – 27 year old with a dizzy spell… All good until you see his ECG!
- CVC and US – A meta-analysis in Anesthesiology confirms how central line cannulation is a lot safer when guided by ultrasound. But is it the be all and end all?
- Chest X-Ray Challenge! – Are you up for it, and the history doesn’t give you much!
- Extremely Subtle ECG, but Bedside Echo Shows Wall Motion Abnormality and Ischemic Pain Cannot Be Controlled Medically – Dr Smith walks you through how to manage this to ensure a good outcome!
- Is it Triage? Or is it Bricolage?– Ian gives an accurate and hard hitting insight of were the triage system is in Aussie EDs!
- Interlude I: first light. – Awe-Inspiring.
- Time to retire routine replacement of peripheral IVs (Lancet) -There is no need to change PIVs every 72-96 hours. Instead, symptom triggered removal and replacement, based on phlebitis, pain or malfunction are better triggers for changing PIVs.
- Metacognition For The Pragmatist – The Gist: Metacognition and cognitive errors in medicine are not merely fluffy, esoteric ideas. There are concrete steps one can take to mitigate these. Thought provoking as always Lauren!
- Wet Purpura and ITP – Remember: ITP is not a platelet function problem… it is a platelet destruction problem.
- Grading Spleen Injures – Simplified – Its not as complicated as you might think!
- The Societal Cost of ED Thoracotomy – Its not really worth doing if its not indicated – finally some evidence!
Keeping Up With Emergency Medicine
- CPR Longer Than 20min May Not Be Futile In Kids – perhaps this study provides us with a little more optimism.
- Ketamine Works for RSI – Oh der!
The LITFL Review Shout Out of the Week
- Shout out this week goes to the lads who set the FOAMed concept alight and showed what social media can do for a medical conference. Check out _EMJ Publication: Impact of Social Media at ICEM2012!
The GMEP Cases of the week
GMEP Image of the week:
Byon One of the perils of a lifetime of scrummaging – C4-6 posterior disc protrusion!
GMEP Video of the week:
Is byon .
Twee Dee and Twitical Care
News from the Fastlane
- SMACC PK Round-Up 4 – These keep getting better and better- bring on SMACC!
- R&R In The FASTLANE 030 – The twitter edition!
- TechTool Thursday 018 – Tessa reviews the app GenSurgCall!
The Final Words
LITFL Review EM/CC Educational Social Media Round Up
123Sonography.com — Academic Life in Emergency Medicine — Adventure Medicine— A Life at Risk — All LA Conference — Al Sacchetti’s Youtube — Bedside Ultrasound — Better in Emergency Medicine —boringem—Broome Docs— CCM-L.org — — Critical Care Perspectives in EM — Dave on Airways —DrGDH — Dr Smith’s ECG Blog — ECG Academy — ECG Guru — ECG of the Week—ED Exam —ED-Nurse— EDTCC — EKG Videos — EM Basic — EM Core Content — EMCrit — EM CapeTown — EMDutch — Emergency Medical Abstracts —EMERJENCYWEBB –EmergencyLondon — Emergency Medicine Cases — Emergency Medicine Education — Emergency Medicine News — Emergency Medicine Ireland — Emergency Medicine Tutorials—Emergency Medicine Updates —Emergucate — emimdoc — EM Literature of Note — empem.org — EMpills — Emergency Physicians Monthly — EM Lyceum — EMProcedures — EMRAP — EMRAP: Educators’ Edition — EMRAP.TV — EM REMS — ER CAST — EXPENSIVECARE — Free Emergency Medicine Talks — GMEP — Gmergency!—Got Resuscitation— Greater Sydney Area HEMS — HQmeded.com — ICU Rounds — Impactednurse — Intensive Care Network — iTeachEM — IVLine — keepcaring — Keeping Up With Emergency Medicine — KeeWeeDoc — KI Docs — LipheLongLurnERdok — MDaware — MD+ CALC — MedEDMasters — Medical Education Videos — Medicina d’urgenza — Medicine for the Outdoors — Micrognome — Movin’ Meat — Neurointensive Care — Pediatric EM Morsels — PEM ED — PEMLit —PEMTweets Blog — PHARM — Practical Evidence — Priceless Electrical Activity — Procedurettes — PulmCCM.org — Radiology Signs — Radiopaedia — Resus.com.au — Resus.ME — Resus Review — — Resus Room Management — Richard Winters’ Physician Leadership —ruralflyingdoc — SCANCRIT — SCCM Blogs — SCCM Podcast — SEMEP — SinaiEM — SinaiEM Ultrasound — SMART EM — SOCMOB — SonoSpot — StEmylns — Takeokun — thebluntdissection—The Central Line — The Ember Project —The Emergency Medicine Resident Blog — The NNT — The Poison Review — The Sharp End — The Short Coat —The Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine — The Sono Cave – The Trauma Professional’s Blog — underneathEM.com — ToxTalk — TJdogma — Twin Cities Toxicology — Ultrarounds — UMEM Educational Pearls —Ultrasound Podcast — Ultrasound Village