TechTool review – Nerve Blocks by C&S Publishing on iOS (iPhone and iPad)
The app is a modified version of the book, aimed internationally and adapted to include ultrasound guided techniques.
The design is not going to drive you wild with excitement, and particularly given its high price tag, I think the authors could work a bit harder on the aesthetics. The text is clear to read, but the design is a tad old-fashioned. This app is more a copy of the original book rather a specific redesign which considered mobile users.
However, the app does run smoothly, and is pretty simple to navigate around.
The app contains general information about regional anaesthesia, including toxicity and troubleshooting.
Then you can select essentially any type of regional block and read about how to do it. Each block is split into a text-based section explaining the technique and describing the process in details; and then there is an images section, which shows fabulous photos of landmarks, and someone actually doing the procedure in practice.
How much does it cost?
- What the….
Room for improvement
- The app is hugely overpriced
- It’s not easy to find on the Apple app store – the developers should optimize its visibility
- A redesign would make it feel nicer to use and then people might be less upset about paying so much to use it
What’s the overall verdict?
- This is a really useful app but it’s priced like a textbook, and it’s not a textbook.
- It has been ‘adapted’ for use on mobile devices but would benefit from this adaptation being worked on more – a redesign, repricing, and reviewing its app store listing to help people find it.
- The content, however, is excellent, and I love having the images handy when I’m preparing for regional anaesthesia