TechTool review Skinstamatic by Skin Photo Text Match Apps on iPhone
Photos are uploaded via the app and are reviewed by a Board of Advisors. Within a day or two, you get the top two diagnoses as decided by the Review Board. This is open to doctors and also the general public.
The process of uploading and submitting photos was excellent – it worked smoothly and looked great.
The sections for viewing the discussion forums were clunky and poorly displayed though. The large list of derm conditions looks enticing – but none of them have any information in them, so instead it’s simply annoying.
- The user is allowed to upload two photos of the skin condition and add a brief history.
- The turnaround was very quick – I received a response within 48 hours.
- The response isn’t detailed, it’s simply the two most likely diagnoses. However, there is the function to add comments under the photo (I suspect this may be for community discussion rather than discussion with the Board).
- A separate section aims to allow the user to browse other photos and discussions. Although it is hard to find any discussions as there are many dead ends in the long list of dermatology topics. A frustrating experience all round.
- Finally, the app will fast track you to an appointment with a dermatologist (I assume this is revenue generating aim of the app). As it is US based, this isn’t particularly helpful for me.
- FREE – worth a try…
Room for Improvement
- There needs to be some clarity on how to view other discussions and photobooks. I simply couldn’t find any of them, and this is an important feature of the app. Shame it wasn’t working
- It was a great service to be able to get a derm opinion within a couple of days.
- Practically, this won’t be hugely useful in ED, but for those of us working in clinics/on the wards who have some time to wait, it’s a good option to help give a name to a rash.
- Alternatively, you can upload a photo of that lumpy thing on your body that you’ve never got round to going to the GP about.
- Finally, if I could view the forum discussions and photos to brush up on my derm skills, that would be even better,
Last update: [last-modified]