- Pulsus paradoxus is defined as an inspiratory drop in blood pressure of 10mmHg or more during normal breathing.
- pericardial tamponade
- acute asthma
- massive pulmonary embolism
- constrictive pericarditis
- hypovolaemia (especially during positive pressure ventilation)
References and Links
- Cardiovascular Curveball 006 — The Paradoxical Alternative
Journal Articles and Textbooks
- Talley NJ, O’Connor S. Clinical Examination: A Systematic Guide to Physical Diagnosis. MacLennan and Petty. 3rd edition, 1998.
Social media and web resources
Stanford 25 — BP measurement and Pulsus Paradoxus