aka Oncology Quandary 004
The following chest x-ray is obtained
Describe the chest X-ray
- Most importantly there is near white-out of the left hemi-thorax.
- There is an ET tube, a right IJ central line and bilateral chest drains in situ.
- There is also ECG monitoring on the patient.
What is the likely diagnosis?
- re-expansion pulmonary oedema
What are the risk factors for this condition developing?
- long-standing collapse of the lung prior to aspiration
- drainage of a large amount of fluid or air over a short period of time
- application of suction
What is Meig’s syndrome?
- pleural effusion and
- benign ovarian tumor (fibroma)
It resolves after the resection of the tumor. For reasons unknown, the pleural effusion is classically on the right side. This patient has metastatic ovarian cancer with associated pleural effusion so this is not it!
Joe Vincent Meigs, was an American obstetrician and gynaecologist. Meigs was a grandson of Captain Joe Vincent Meigs, who invented an experimental steam monorail known as the Meigs single-track elevated railroad.
LITFL Further Reading