Some great abyss
The things I’d miss
If I could only
Make some sense of this.”
Sheryl Crow is singing about her experience undergoing treatment. What condition did she have and what treatment was she having?
- Breast cancer. Crow was diagnosed in February 2006 and underwent surgery with 33 sessions of radiation therapy over two months.
“Don’t you worry
There’s no hurry
It’s a lovely day
Could all be going your way
Take the doc’s advice
Let up enjoy your life
Listen to what they say
It’s not a game they play.”
But what was this in reference to?
- This song was inspired by MC Chas Smith’s father’s repeated heart attacks. It tells the story of a workholic who dies of a heart attack.
- This was banned by BBC Radio 1 because of its lyrical content. Such lines as “gasping for the hot air, but the chest pain it won’t go” were deemed unsuitable for its national audience.
And the garter on her right
She’d have the card to bring me down
If she played it right
She’s got the jack, she’s got the jack.”
What’s the Jack?
- Gonorrhoea.The Jack, is an Australian term for the clap. We could have also had Frank Zappa’s “why does it hurt when I pee”.
I thought we would have to break up the band
To lose your arm would surely upset your brain
The poison then could reach your heart from a vein.”
Often blamed in Australia for multiple skin wounds, what “blank” are the Flamming Lips singing about?
- Spider bite. Drummer/guitarist Steven Drozd from the Flamming Lips came close to having to have his arm amputated due to a spider bite. It turned out that Drozd’s arm had a large abscess as a result of his heroin use rather than because of a spider bite.
- The unparalleled Leonard Cohen, from “You Want It Darker”. Of course all Leonard Cohen fans want it darker.
Last update: [last-modified]