What happens if you swallow chewing gum?
- Not a lot, most people pass the chewing gum uneventfully in the next couple of trips to the toilet.
- However, there have been case reports of chewing gum causing bezoars mixed with coins and one case report of a 4 yr old boy with a two year history of constipation. When the child finally underwent disimpaction a large mass of chewing gum was removed. On retrospective history the parents stated the child took between 5-7 pieces of chewing gum a day for good behaviour and commonly swallowed it. [Reference]
- Men are 5x more likely to be struck by lightening in America
- Bonus fact: In Canada young men are 80% more likely to drown than the rest of the population. [Reference]
In what season do children grow the fastest?
- Summer and slower in Winter
- “Melatonin is related to the glucocorticoid receptor (GR) pathway and there is a well-established link between the circadian cortisol cycle and growth rate. Therefore, the GR pathway modulation is a possible mechanism by which daylight could modulate growth response.” [Reference]
What causes a painful limb and acute pancreatitis in sugar cane harvesters in the West Indies?
- The sting of Tityus trinitatis a scorpion endemic in Trinidad
- Finally, a country where you don’t look stupid for suggesting scorpion bites in your differential. [Reference]
- German neurologist Georg Schaltenbrand reported in 1938 and 1953 what he termed “aliquorrhea”, a condition marked by very low, unobtainable, or even negative CSF pressures. A few decades earlier, the same syndrome had been described in French literature as “hypotension of spinal fluid” and “ventricular collapse”.
- This is now recognised as spontaneous intracranial hypotension resulting from a small tear in the dura surrounding the brain or the spinal cord. It can occur with minor trauma such as bending over to pick up a toy, coughing, sneezing, twisting or sex.
- The headache is worse sitting up, CSF pressures are below normal and MRI with gadolinium is the test of choice. [Reference]
Last update: [last-modified]