What is the JOLT test?
- In patients suspected of having meningitis: the patient is asked to quickly move their head from side to side in a horizontal plane. If there is meningeal irritation, the headache will get worse.
- Unfortunately the studies are small and varied with sensitivities ranging from 6-97%. It does appear to be more sensitive than nuchal rigidity, kernig’s and Brudzinski’s sign but will not get you out of doing an LP if negative. [Reference]
- Sir Astley Paston Cooper (23 Aug 1768 – 12 Feb 1841) was an English surgeon and pioneer in experimental surgery.
- He was the first to tie the abdominal aorta in treating an aneurysm (1817), among various other operations he performed successfully at a time before antiseptic procedures. [Reference]
What came first the Chicken or the Egg?
- The Egg (final answer)
- According to the QI second book of general ignorance: “As the geneticist JBS Haldane (1892-1964) remarked ‘The most frequently asked question is: Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The fact that it is still asked proves that many people have never been taught the theory of evolution or that they don’t believe it’ With that in mind – Birds evolved from reptiles, so the first bird must have come out of an egg – laid by a reptile”
If the patient ‘can’t see, can’t pee or can’t bend the knee,’ what could be wrong with them?
- They have Reiter’s syndrome.
- The classic triad of arthritis, urethritis, and conjunctivitis, most commonly from chlamydia. [Reference]
- Ricin – injected via an umbrella pellet gun on Thursday, September 7th, 1978 at 1.30pm at the south end of Waterloo Bridge, London. [Reference]