- Chewing gum
- He skilfully rammed it into the left foramen spinosum after the artery decided to complicate an already high risk evacuation of a extradural haematoma.
- See the full article by Chris Nickson on “A dying patient is saved by Jesus“
- Use coconut water
- The story of coconut water being similar to human blood plasma originated during World War II when British and Japanese patients were given coconut water intravenously in an emergency because saline was unavailable.
- It’s specific gravity is similar to plasma but other than that it is a hypotonic solution, low in sodium, high in potassium and calcium making its use really only in extreme cases and in small amounts. It has also been documented during Pol Pot’s regime as a crime against humanity, so probably best to continue with your current 0.9% saline supplier. [Reference]
- An injury to the ulnar nerve will result in the classical ulnar claw. However this is mainly seen in more distal injuries. The ulnar nerve also innervates the ulnar half of the flexor digitorum profundus (FDP) muscle. If the ulnar nerve lesion occurs more proximally (closer to the elbow), the flexor digitorum profundus muscle may also be denervated. As a result, flexion of the IP joints is weakened, which reduces the claw-like appearance of the hand.
- Simply put, as reinnervation occurs along the ulnar nerve after a high lesion, the deformity will get worse (FDP reinnervated) as the patient recovers – hence the use of the term “paradox”.
- A simple way to remember this is: ‘the closer to the Paw, the worse the Claw’. [Reference]
- It prevented clubbers in Italy driving off in a adrenaline hyped state.
- In the mid 90s the clubbing scene was full of amped-up tracks and hard beats. The Italian authorities blamed the combination of the music and substance abuse for high levels of adrenaline in clubbers leaving for the night and crashing their cars. It was so bad the Italians even had their own term “stragi del sabato sera” – Saturday night slaughter.
- Children was a different option with a soft beat and slower music and to those in the right frame of mind brought feelings of nostalgia and calm.
- Did it change the death toll, who knows but it did result in chart success with multiple number one slots across Europe for up to 13 weeks, praise from Italian Authorities and parents of car crash victims. [Reference]
- They ‘used their teeth’ as ‘castration aids’
- C. jejuni is frequently transmitted by fecal-oral contact or consuming contaminated food or water. And infections are commonly associated with eating poultry or unpasteurized dairy products.
- In this case, the two ‘victims’ were the only 2 of 12 people who got sick as they worked to castrate and dock tails of 1,600 lambs at a Wyoming sheep ranch.
- They were the only two who ‘used their teeth’.
- “Ranch owners and employees were advised to use standardized, age-specific techniques for lamb castration (e.g., Burdizzo, rubber rings, or surgery) and to wash their hands thoroughly after contact with animals.”… not their teeth. [Reference]