- Between two opposing fingers when testing for clubbing.
- The normal diamond shape is called “Schamroth’s window”. If the window is obliterated then clubbing is present. [Reference]
- An informal measure of ionising radiation exposure by ingesting one average-sized banana.
- One BED correlates to 0.1 microsievert, mainly in the form of potassium-40. The dose is not cumulative due to excretion but does help illustrate the exposure in our environment. [Reference]
- Eating 1000 Bananas is equivalent to one chest X-ray, unfortunately you will need to eat 70,000 to equal an average chest CT.
What are over 70% of antibiotics used for in the United States?
- Animal feeds
- Antibiotics are put in animal feed to help keep them disease free, and thus grow larger and generate more produce.
- This use is a major factor contributing to antibiotic resistance.
Why should you avoid contact with caterpillars of the Lonomia genus, a type of moth native to South America?
- Lonomia caterpillars can cause Caterpillar-induced bleeding syndrome.
- This syndrome is a venom-induced consumptive coagulaopathy caused by a pro-coagulant toxin, analogous to that caused by some venomous Australian snakes.
- The lethal case report by Chan et al (2008) is well worth reading and has some great images.
Chan K, Lee A, Onell R, Etches W, Nahirniak S, Bagshaw SM, Larratt LM. Caterpillar-induced bleeding syndrome in a returning traveller. CMAJ. 2008 Jul 15;179(2):158-61. PubMed PMID: 18625988; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2443214.
The “Nigel effect” refers to the phenomenon of ‘transcendent expertise’, which occurs when progress is made beyond the frontiers of what is known or even thought possible to do. A famous example is when Roger Bannister first ran a mile in under 4 minutes.
The ‘Nigel effect’ is named for New Zealand Scrabble player Nigel Richards, and is mentioned in Anders Ericsson’s book Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise. Nigel Richards is the ‘All Blacks’ of Scrabble, having won over 75% of all tournament games he has played and he has dominated World Championships for many years. He even won the French Scrabble World Championship despite not being able to speak French! [Reference]