- No crazy system like extracting it from another animal is needed. The epipen actually contains more adrenaline.
- At least the commercial brand of epipen has a 2ml vial in the syringe. Only 0.3ml is given and hence if you can dismantle the device you have a few more doses you can give manually. [Reference]
- Also see this youtube video on how to break open the EpiPen.
- Bolivia, “the Saudi Arabia of Lithium”. [Reference]
- I suspect a few of you have travelled to the salt flats (Salar de Uyuni), who knew there was something else in the air that was making you happier, or at least combating the sickness you felt from the altitude.
- Named after Jules Comby, a French Paediatrician, the Comby sign is whitish patches and inflammation seen in the mouth prior to the appearance of Koplik’s spots. [Reference]
- Coxsackie virus
- The coxsackieviruses were discovered in 1948–49 by Dr. Gilbert Dalldorf, a scientist working at the New York State Department of Health.
- He had been searching for a cure for poliomyelitis. Earlier work Dalldorf had done in monkeys suggested that fluid collected from a nonpolio virus preparation could protect against the crippling effects of polio.
- Dalldorf attempted to isolate such protective viruses from the faeces of polio patients. The virus family he discovered was eventually given the name Coxsackie, from Coxsackie, New York, a small town on the Hudson River where Dalldorf had obtained the first faecal specimens [Reference]
- The ‘muffin’ is a technique that relies on a basic human aversion to seeing other people speak with their mouths full.
- The position of the hand-held muffin should correlate with the product of the likelihood of being targeted by the pimper multiplied by the likelihood of the muffin-holder not knowing the answer.
- If a question is about to be directed at the pimpee, and the pimpee does not know the answer, the muffin should be rapidly inserted into the pimpee’s mouth.
- Detsky, clearly a physician of great wisdom, advises the pimpee to feign choking should the pimper be sufficiently inhuman (usually a surgeon) to still direct a question at a person with a muffin-filled mouth. If you then resuscitate yourself with a back slap — or even better, a precordial thump — bystanders will applaud you and you will never be pimped again. [Reference]
- To learn more about Defence Against the Dark Art of Pimping, read LITFL’s post on ‘Pimping for the Pimpee‘.