- Propanethiol S-oxide
- When you cut an onion, separate enzymes start mixing and produce propanethiol S-oxide, which is a volatile sulphur compound. The gas that is emitted reacts with the water of your eyes and forms sulphuric acid. The sulphuric acid causes burning sensation in your eyes and in turn leads to the tears glands secreting tears. [Reference]
Does a full moon correlate to extreme behavioural disturbances?
- Yes, according to a study done here in Australia:
- Of 91 patients with violent and acute behavioural disturbance, 21 (23%) presented during the full moon — double the number for other lunar phases (P = 0.002). Sixty (66%) had either alcohol intoxication or psychostimulant toxicity, and five attacked staff (biting , spitting , kicking  and scratching ). In contrast, 512 hospital security calls for patients with less severe behaviour were evenly distributed throughout the lunar cycle. [Reference]
What does ‘hampton’s hump‘ represent on a CXR?
- Refers to a dome-shaped, pleural-based opacification in the lung most commonly due to a pulmonary embolism and lung infarction (See image below – right middle zone on the lateral aspect) [Reference]
- Other signs include Fleischner sign and Knuckle sign
Protamine sulphate is used to reverse heparin but where was it originally isolated?
- Fish Sperm [Reference]
What is St Anthony’s fire?
- It is an infection of the upper dermis and superficial lymphatics, usually caused by beta-haemolytic group A streptococcus.
- Erysipelas is more superficial than cellulitis, and is typically more raised and demarcated.
- Or occasionally herpes zoster if you are from Italy or Malta. [Reference]