Which two life threatening diseases can bats transmit?
- Histoplasmosis and rabies (technically bat lyssavirus)
- Follow this link for a full gamete of drugs that can turn your urine green [Reference]
- Still debatable but there is a molecule that is only found in asparagus and is not destroyed by cooking…asparagusic acid.
- Could this be the source of the smell? So far no one has been able to prove that it creates the distinctive smell, but nor can they find another chemical that fits the description.
- Interestingly there is a small percent of the population who can not produce the smell or cannot sense the smell. [Reference]
Malaria is an important alternative diagnosis to consider in any febrile patient with flulike symptoms who has returned from Africa; it is difficult to distinguish between the two early in their presentation. How might the serum glucose level help?
- Hypoglycemia is a common finding in malaria.
- Malaria parasitized red blood cells utilize glucose 75 times faster than uninfected cells. [Reference]
Emergency Physicians routinely use “Normal Saline” as the intravenous fluid of choice. Why is it called “normal“?
- Saline’s designation as “normal” was based on an erroneous calculation of the salt concentration in human blood as 0.9% back in 1882 (it’s actually 0.6%) [Reference]