- Considered to be the first French otologist of the 17th century and one of the first European otologists.
- Duverney published one of the first complete works on otology – Traité de l’organe de l’ouïe in 1683, discussing the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the ear. Translated into many languages and a key reference book for the 17th and 18th century
- Anatomist of some renown – 1681, he dissected an elephant before king Louis XIV in 1681.
- In 1683, Duverney identified a temporal bone tumor, believed to be the earliest description of cholesteatoma.
- Maladies des os (“Diseases of the bones”) was published posthumously in 1751 and includes a description of the eponymous ‘Duverney fracture’ [284-285] and the first full description of osteoporosis
- Born 5 August 1648
- 1667 – medical doctorate in Avignon, France
- 1682 – Professor of anatomy at Jardin du Roi
- Died 10 September 1730
- Duverney fracture – fracture of the iliac wing which is not associated with any other pelvic fractures
- Duverney JG. Traité De L’organe De L’ouie: Contenant La Structure, Les Usages & Les Maladies De Toutes Les Parties De L’oreille (Treatise on the organ of hearing) 1683.
- Duverney JG. Traité des maladies des os (Treatise on diseases of the bones) Posthumous publication, de Bure l’aîné. 1751 [Tome I] [Tome II]
- Alternative spelling – Joseph-Guichard Du Verney
- Peltier LF. Joseph Guichard Duverney (1648-1730). Champion of applied comparative anatomy. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1984 Jul-Aug;(187):308-11. [PMID 6378482]
- Mudry A. Guichard Joseph Duverney, premier otologiste français au XVII e siècle [First French otologist in the 17th century] Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac. 2000 Sep;117(4):203-9. [PMID 11011182]
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. pp 92-3 Springer; 2005 edition
- Hunter TB, Peltier LF, Lund PJ. Radiologic history exhibit. Musculoskeletal eponyms: who are those guys? RadioGraphics 2000; 20: 819-36. [Full Text]
LITFL Related Links
- Biographical Medical Eponyms – A-Z of eponymous medical pioneers
- Eponymictionary – Searchable Eponymictionary Database
- Medical Eponyms – A-Z of signs, syndromes, diseases and classifications
- Orthopaedic Eponyms – Eponymous orthopedic fractures and classifications
- Cardiac Eponyms – Eponymous cardiology collection