- The Bado classification (a variation of the Monteggia fracture) is named after him.
- Founded The Society of Trauma and Orthopaedics of Uruguay
- Founded The Latin American Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology
- Published 130 scientific papers and 12 books
‘Observation is not enough; one must think; observation without thought is as dangerous as thought without observation.’ Bado JL
- Born 8 July 1903 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 1928 – Graduated as gold medal valedictorian from Montevideo School of Medicine
- 1928 – Worked at the military hospital for 2 years
- 1933 – 2 year scholarship, the Rizzoli School of Orthopaedics in Bologna, Italy under Vittorio Putti (1880-1940)
- 1940 – Founded the Society of Trauma and Orthopaedics of Uruguay
- 1951 – Becomes Professor of at Montevideo School of Medicine
- 1951 – 1st Chair of Orthopaedics and Traumatology at School of Medicine, Montevideo
- 1962 – Publishes his eponym defining book: The Monteggia Lesion
- 1967 – Founded The Latin American Society of Orthopedics and Traumatology
- Died 19 December 1977 Montevideo, Uruguay
Key Medical Attributions:
- 1962 – Wrote his seminal book: ‘The Monteggia Lesion’ in which he further classified the Monteggia injury in to four types (rather than just the one extension type described by Giovanni Monteggia 155 years earlier)
- 1967 – Published the his research on ‘The Monteggia Lesion’ where he reported the treatment outcomes of 22 adults and 18 children advocating non operative treatment in all but type IV injuries.
- Mostofi SB. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. Springer. pp17-19. 2005
- Rehim SA, Maynard MA, Sebastin SJ, Chung KC. Monteggia fracture-dislocations: A Historical Review. J Hand Surg Am. 2014 Jul; 39(7): 1384–1394. [PMC4266382]
- Revista Trauma. Epónimos. Trauma Fundación Mapfre Vol. 25 (2014), No. 3.
- Biogtafía: José Luis Bado (1903-1977). Colombian Journal of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology. 2006; 20: 18-20.
- Jose Luis Bado 1903-1977. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 1979; 61- A: 153-4. [PMID 365866]
LITFL Related Links
- Biographical Medical Eponyms – A-Z of eponymous medical pioneers
- Eponymictionary – Searchable Eponymictionary Database
- Medical Eponyms – A-Z of signs, syndromes, diseases and classifications
- Orthopaedic Eponyms – Eponymous orthopedic fractures and classifications
- Cardiac Eponyms – Eponymous cardiology collection