- Born 8 July 1857
- 1884 – MD, Harvard University
- 1884-1887 – post-graduate dermatology training in Berlin, Munich and Vienna
- 1888 – Assistant physician to outpatients with diseases of the skin, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 1896 – Instructor in dermatology, Harvard Medical School
- 1907 – First Edward Wigglesworth Professor of Dermatology
- Died 3 December 1940
Key Medical Attributions:
- More about medical contributions
- Bowen’s disease – (1912) chronic atypical epithelial proliferation.
- Bowenoid papulosis
- Bowen JT. The Epitrichial Layer of the Human Epidermis. Anatomischer Anzeiger, 4. 1889, Nr.13 u.14. pp 412-416; and 441-450
- Bowen JT. Precancerous dermatoses: A study of two cases of chronic atypical proliferation. J Cutan Dis Syph 1912;30:241-255
- Bowen JT. The epitrichial layer of the epidermis and its relationship to ichthyosis congenita. New York 1895.
- Bowen JT. On the occurrence of small-pox lesions in the internal organs. Reprint from Vierteljahresschrift für Dermatologie und Syphilis. 1887. 4
- Bowen JT. Cases of cutaneous tuberculosis, with histological studies. Reprinted from: Journal of cutaneous and genito-urinary diseases. 1890
- Bowen JT. The association of purpura and acute circumscribed oedema. Reprinted from: Journal of cutaneous and genito-urinary diseases. 1892
- Bowen JT. Hydroa vacciniforme, bazin, Hutchinson’s summer eruption. Reprinted from: Journal of cutaneous and genito-urinary diseases 1894.
- Bowen JT. Keratosis follicularis (psorospermose folliculaire végétante, Darier), apropos of a new case. Reprinted from the Journal of cutaneous and genito-urinary diseases 1896.
- Bowen JT. Congenital bullous dermatitis with epidermic cysts. 1898
- Weyers W. The centennial of Bowen’s disease—a critical review on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of its original description. Dermatol Pract Concept. 2012 Oct; 2(4) [PMC3663375].
- Classic Reprint: Precancerous dermatoses: A study of two cases of chronic atypical proliferation. Arch Dermatol. 1983;119(3):243-260. [JAMA]
- Bernhard JD, Elliot AD. A Letter From Darier to Bowen on the Naming of Bowen’s Disease. Arch Dermatol. 1983;119(3):261-262. [JAMA]
LITFL Related Links
- Biographical Medical Eponyms – A-Z of eponymous medical pioneers
- Eponymictionary – Searchable Eponymictionary Database
- Medical Eponyms – A-Z of signs, syndromes, diseases and classifications
- Orthopaedic Eponyms – Eponymous orthopedic fractures and classifications
- Cardiac Eponyms – Eponymous cardiology collection