- Eponymously associated with Shepherd Fracture
- British by birth and training he emigrated to Canada in 1875 to become Professor of anatomy at McGill University
- Pioneered the teaching of dermatology in Canada serving as President of the Canadian branch of the British Dermatological Society (1928)
- Born 25 November 1851
- 1869-1873 Faculty of Medicine, McGill University.
- 1874-1875 St Thomas’s Hospital passed the MRCS; Vienna studying dermatology under von Hebra (1816–1880).
- 1875-1883 Demonstrator of anatomy at McGill University with his friend and contemporary, Sir William Osler.
- 1883-1913 Lecturer then Professor in Anatomy, McGill University
- 1901 – President of the Canadian Medical Association
- 1902 – Chief surgeon at Montreal General Hospital; Professor of Surgery McGill University
- 1905 – Honorary Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons in Edinburgh
- 1906-1910 President of the Montreal Art Association
- 1908-1914 Dean of the Faculty of Medicine, McGill University
- Emeritus Dean of Medicine at McGill University
- Died 18 January 1929,
- Shepherd FJ. A Hitherto Undescribed Fracture of the Astragalus (talus). J Anat Physiol. 1882 Oct; 17(Pt 1): 79–81. [PMC1310130]
- Shepherd FJ. Excision of the Bones of the Tarsus for Tubercular Disease. Ann Surg. 1886 Oct; 4(4): 293–298. [PMC1430928]
- Shepherd FJ. A Hitherto Undescribed Anomaly of the Lingual Artery. Ann Surg. 1889 May; 9(5): 331–332. [PMC1428198]
- Shepherd FJ. Successful Case of Trephining for Meningeal Hæmorrhage: Ligature of the Carotid. Br Med J. 1896 Apr 11; 1(1841): 905–906. [PMC2406968]
- Shepherd FJ. Biographical Sketch: Sir William Osler. Can Med Assoc J. 1920; 10(Spec Iss): 19–23. [PMC1525036]
- Shepherd FJ. Address on Surgery. Can Med Assoc J. 1915 Sep; 5(9): 757–766. [PMC1584444]
- Shepherd FJ. The Osler Oration. Can Med Assoc J. 1929 Aug; 21(2): 131–137. [PMC1710956]
- McDermot HE. History of Canadian surgery: Francis J. Shepherd. Can J Surg 1957; 1: 5-7
- Howell WB. Francis John Shepherd – surgeon, his life and times 1851-1919. Can Med Assoc J. 1929 Feb; 20(2): 210-212. [PMC1710245]
- Biography: Shepherd, Francis John (1851 – 1929). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
- Revista Trauma. Epónimos. Trauma Fundación Mapfre Vol. 24 (2013), No. 3
LITFL Related Links
- Biographical Medical Eponyms – A-Z of eponymous medical pioneers
- Eponymictionary – Searchable Eponymictionary Database
- Medical Eponyms – A-Z of signs, syndromes, diseases and classifications
- Orthopaedic Eponyms – Eponymous orthopedic fractures and classifications
- Cardiac Eponyms – Eponymous cardiology collection