- Eponymously associated with Bennett Fracture
- Bennett created and curated a substantial collection of fractures, dislocations, diseases, and bones, which he arranged and catalogued, together with their clinical histories, in the Pathological Museum of Trinity College
- Early adopter surgeons of Lister’s antiseptic technique which he introduced into Dublin
- Described as a “model of honour and uprightness, blunt (sometimes emphatically so) and intolerant only of pretence. He was known popularly as ‘the Boss‘.”
- Born 9 1837 April Charlotte Quay, Cork
- 1854 – 1859 Medical school Trinity School, Dublin (AB, MB) and first graduate to receive the new degree of MCh
- 1863 – Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland (FRCSI)
- 1864 – Surgeon to Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital and University Anatomist
- 1873 – succeeded Robert William Smith as Professor of Surgery and Curator of the Pathological Museum, Trinity College/li>
- 1880 – President of the Dublin Pathological Society
- 1884 – President of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
- 1894-1897 President of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland
- 1902-1905 Surgeon to the Lord Lieutenant, the Earl of Dudley
- Died 21 June 1907, Dublin
- Bennett fracture (1882) – intra-articular two-part fracture of the base of the first metacarpal bone.
- Bennett double ring splint – metal splint that slips on the finger and limits hyperextension of the proximal interphalangeal joint.
- The Bennett Medal – (1907) awarded to the Surgical Traveling Prize in the School of Physic, Trinity College. Medallion with Bennett portrait, fractured first metacarpal and inscription ‘Viri in Fractis Ossibus Collocandis Sollertissimi‘
- Bennett EH. Remarks on Colles’ Fracture and on Fractures of the Same Part of the Lower End of the Radius. Br Med J. 1880 May 22;1(1012):759-60. [PMC2240253]
- Bennett EH. Fractures of the metacarpal bones. Dublin J Med Sci 1882;73:72-75
- Bennett EH. An Address Delivered at the Opening of the Section of Surgery. Br Med J. 1885 Aug 1;2(1283):199-200. [PMC2308424]
- Bennett EH. Injuries of the skeleton: Value of the accumulation of specimens. Br Med J 1885;2:199
- Bennett EH. On fracture of the metacarpal bone of the thumb. Br Med J. 1886 Jul 3;2(1331):12-3. [PMC2257374]
- Bennett EH. Report of a Meeting of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland 14 May 1897. Br Med J 1897;1:1479
- Obituary: Edward Hallaran Bennett, M.D, F.R.C.S.I. Br Med J 1907;1:1575. [PMC2358273]
- O’Rahilly R. Edward Hallaran Bennett (1837–1907). Irish Journal of Medical Science. 1948;23(3):127–131.
- Biography: Bennett, Edward Hallaran (1837 – 1907). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England.
LITFL Related Links
- Biographical Medical Eponyms – A-Z of eponymous medical pioneers
- Eponymictionary – Searchable Eponymictionary Database
- Medical Eponyms – A-Z of signs, syndromes, diseases and classifications
- Orthopaedic Eponyms – Eponymous orthopedic fractures and classifications
- Cardiac Eponyms – Eponymous cardiology collection