- Initially a prominent spinal surgeon. One of the first in the UK to perform a lateral cordotomy for the relief of pain.
- Published “Manipulative surgery” after working closely with Herbert Baker, an unqualified manipulator.
- The Bankart Lesion – antero-inferior detachment of the glenoid labrum – is named after him.
- Popularised an operative approach for recurrent anterior shoulder dislocations – the Bankart Repair (AKA: Broca-Perthes-Bankart operation).
- Born 1879
- Educated at Rugby School then Trinity College, Cambridge
- 1906 – Qualified from Guy’s Hospital
- 1909 – Obtained Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons (UK).
- 1909 – First Surgical Registrar at the National Orthopaedic Hospital, London
- 1911 – Surgeon to the Maida Vale Hospital for Nervous Diseases; Assistant Surgeon to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital; Surgeon to the Belgrave Hospital for Children and Surgeon to the Queen’s Hospital for Children. Practicing in orthopaedic surgery, neurosurgery and paediatric surgery.
- 1913 – First honorary secretary of Orthopaedic Surgery of Royal Society of Medicine.
- 1920 – First Orthopaedic Surgeon at Middlesex Hospital, UK.
- 1923 – Founder member of the British Orthopaedic Society and Société Internationale de Chirurgie Orthopédique et de Traumatologie [SICOT].
- 1933 – President of British Orthopaedic Society.
- 1944 – Retired…but carried on operating
- Died 8 April 1951 after a full day in theatre.
- Bankart Lesion: antero-inferior detachment of the glenoid labrum, commonly (85-97%) associated with first-time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocations.
- Bankart Repair: operative repair for recurrent anterior shoulder dislocations. (Also Broca-Perthes-Bankart operation)
- Bankart ASB. Recurrent or habitual dislocation of the shoulder joint. Br Med J. 1923 Dec 15; 2(3285): 1132–1133. [PMC2317614] [Bankart Lesion]
- Bankart ASB. Dislocations of the Shoulder Joint. The Robert Jones Birthday Volume, p. 307. London 1928.
- Bankart ASB. Manipulative surgery, Oxford University Press, 1932. [Full Text]
- Bankart ASB. The pathology and treatment of recurrent dislocation of the shoulder. British Journal of Surgery 1938;26:23-39.
- Bankart ASB. An operation for recurrent dislocation (subluxation) of the sternoclavicular joint. British Journal of Surgery 1938;26:320–323.
- Bankart ASB. Treatment of intracapsular fracture of the femoral neck. Lancet. 1942; Vol 239 (6183):249-252
- Bankart ASB. Fracture of the os calcis. Lancet. 1942; Vol 240 (6207):175
- Bankart ASB. Discussion on Recurrent Dislocation of the Shoulder. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 30-B, 46. 1948
- Bankart lesion: Broca and Hartmann (1890) gave a good description of the lesion, but their work was neglected, and it is largely due to Bankart’s emphasis that the defect has become widely known.
- Bankart repair: Georg Clemens Perthes (1906) originally described the operative repair. Bankart popularised the operation for recurrent shoulder dislocation.
- Mostofi SB. Arthur Sidney Blundell Bankart 1879–1951. Who’s Who in Orthopedics. 2005;20-22.
- Biography: Bankart, Arthur Sydney Blundell (1879 – 1951). Plarr’s Lives of the Fellows Online. Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Obituary: Arthur Sidney Blundell Bankart. Br Med J 1951;1:888
- Obituary: Arthur Sidney Blundell Bankart. Lancet 1951;Vol 257;Issue 6660:915