- neutralisation of heparin
MECHANISM OF ACTION
- strongly basic protamine + strongly acid heparin -> forms stable salt -> removed by reticuloendothelial system.
- inhibits formation and activity of thromboplastin (extrinsic pathway)
- purified mixture of low-molecular weight cationic proteins prepared from fish sperm (salmon).
- clear, colourless solution
- protamine sulphate
- 1mg protamine : 100u heparin
- reduce dose if more than 15 minutes has elapsed from heparin dose
- heparin reversal
- LMWH revesal
- Increased Pulmonary Vascular resistance
- Metabolism – ?
- Elimination – t ½ = 60min
References and Links
- Emergency Medicine PharmD — Protamine for LMWH (2013)