- Confirm diagnosis
- Allows therapy to be targeted
- Needs to be done only, if the answer cannot be seen from peripheral blood already.
ASSESS MARROW CELLULARITY
- quantitative and morphological information on cell lines in marrow
- hypoplasia, hyperplasia or normal numbers of myeloid, erythroid, megakaryocytic and lymphoid cells
- macrophages engorged with haematopoietic cells (viral haemophagocytic syndrome)
ASSESS MATURITY AND APPEARANCE
- identify normality or otherwise of haematopoietic cells (ie. megaloblastic change)
- stromal cells and vascular abnormalities!
- percentages of immature cells
- atypical morphology indicates a dysplastic process
OTHER PATHOLOGY DEMONSTRATED