MECHANISM OF ACTION
- irreversible acetylation of cycloxygenase -> blocks the production of prostaglandins from membrane phospholipids -> inactivation of platelet aggregation by arachidonic acid and collagen.
- tablets: 75-600mg
- EC form available
- PO or PR
- 75-300mg PO
- GI ulceration
- idiosyncratic reactions: asthma, urticaria, angioneurotic oedema
- Absorption – high bioavailability (70%)
- Distribution – 90% protein bound
- Metabolism – converted to salicyclic acid in GIT and liver
- Elimination – urinary
- it is ionized at a high pH -> doesn’t cross lipid membranes (ion trapping) -> this can be achieved with bicarbonate therapy.
-> antiplatelet agent that decreases subsequent risk of coronary and cerebrovascular events.