Unintentional paediatric exposures generate over 80,000 calls to Australian poisons information centres (PICs) each year. Many children are also brought directly to emergency departments without initial PIC consultation. The following information refers to unintentional exposures in children under the age of 6 years. Older children and adolescents may present with deliberate self-poisoning and these cases are assessed and managed according to the principles outlined for adults.
- Bar-Oz, B, Levichek Z, Koren G. Medications that can be fatal for a toddler with one tablet or teaspoonful. Pediatric Drugs 2004; 6:123-126.
- McCoubrie D, Murray L, Daly FFS et al. Ingestion of two unidentified tablets by a toddler. Emergency Medicine Journal 2006; 23:718-720.
- Mofenson HC, Greensher J, Carraccio TR. Ingestions considered non-toxic. Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America 1984; 2(1):159-174.
- New South Wales Poisons Information Centre. 2008 Annual Report. Children’s Hospital at Westmead, Westmead, New South Wales.