TechTool review Epocrates Bugs + Drugs by Epocrates on iOS
Bugs + Drugs uses cloud-based information on bugs and their sensitivities. Epocrates has joined up with athenahealth to create this app. athenahealth provides data from its electronic health records (it has 15 million patients) and that information is geo-analysed and presented to you by Epocrates.
Essentially you can view geographically-targeted information about the bugs and sensitivities that are prevalent.
The aim is to help you decide on the best antibiotic treatment for your patient, while waiting for the culture results or the sensitivities
Design and User Interface
This app is so beautiful it brings tears to my eyes. The graphics are stunning, it is iOS7 compliant uses all the new features available perfectly. It’s a pleasure to use.
The app can locate you by (US) postcode or show the national data. Then you can:
- View by urine, blood, skin or all
- See the total number of culture results making up the database
- Look at the types of bacteria and the prevalence
- Find out more about the sensitivities of these samples to numerous antibiotics
- Look up further info about the drug you choose (side effects, dosing, indication)
- It’s free – download it if only to see how lovely it looks
Room for Improvement
- It took me a while to work out how to change from viewing urine samples to blood samples (search icon in the top right)
- Don’t get too excited, it only has info from the USA
- This app is amazing. It encompasses what we should be striving for in health IT – bringing together big data to make fabulous, personalised resources that improve patient care.
- I wish it was available in Australia