A 25 year old man is brought to the emergency department complaining of chest pain for 48 hours.
a. Describe his ECG. (50%) b. List the possible causes. (50%)
FACEM VAQ Exam 2004.2 – Question 3
- The overall pass rate for this question was 55 / 64 (85.9%).
- His ECG shows widespread ST segment changes.
- Examiners expected that description would highlight that the ECG was typical for an AMI but in a patient of an atypical age.
- The description should have included relevant negative findings and be done in a systematic manner.
- Failing answers had inadequate descriptions, didn’t mention AMI or focused on diagnoses not supported by the ECG (e.g. WPW syndrome).