Welcome to the 108th edition, brought to you by Kane Guthrie and Tessa Davis.
The LITFL Review is your regular and reliable source for the highest highlights, sneakiest sneak peaks and loudest shout-outs from the webbed world of emergency medicine and critical care. Each week the LITFL team casts the spotlight on the best and brightest from the blogosphere, the podcast video/audiosphere and the rest of the Web 2.0 social media jungle to find the most fantastic EM/CC FOAM (Free Open Access Meducation) around.
The Most Fair Dinkum Ripper Beaut of the Week
Appropriately managing the low risk PE patient in the ED, is one of the most challenging conundrums we face in modern clinical medicine. Mr Broome Docs got together with emergency physician Anand Senthi for a thought provoking podcast with a historical perspective on were we are at when it comes PE Prognostication. Obviously, it is worth a listen and congrats to Casey and Anand for taking out the ‘ripper of the week’ award!
The Best of #FOAMed Emergency Medicine
- The old chestnut raises its head again….You know “Distracting”, But Not Distracting injury when trying to clear the C-spine! Ryan over at EM Literature of Note sheds some new research on the topic – but still doesn’t clear the waters for us.
- Great trick of the trade from ALiEM for your next simulation session – Blindfold the Leader, nice way to enforce good leadership, teamwork and communication.
- We all love and are inspired by Scott over at EMCrit – find out how he got were he is, and how he maintains his knowledge and inspiration in – The Path to Insanity.
- Time for some trauma from The Trauma Professional’s Blog – who’s routinely Autotransfusing Blood Lost Through The Chest Tube? Remember that blood may be good for increasing oxygenation – but you need to add in clotting factors.
- Choosing the right vasopressor agent in hypotension – is no easy task. This post tries to simplify a very complex and controversial task.
- The ECG guru is back with a tricky case to crack – A 20-something with palpitations and dizziness. Dr Smith’s ECG Blog wants to know – What action will you take?
- Minh has been hanging around with one of the coolest airway gurus around — Richard Levitan — and discusses the BagValveMask as a murder weapon – and why the future of airway management will get up your nose.
The Best of #FOAMcc Critical Care
- Want to know what the most recent updates on Anaphylaxis are? Who better than world expert Michael Rose over at Intensive Care Network to share his knowledge on this topic.
- Where are we at with Clearing the C-Spine in 2013? Thought provoking discussion here on clearing the C-spine wether its in the ED or upstairs on the ward or in ICU.
- It should be in here every week, but Rob Mac Sweeney does an amazing job rounding up the critical care literature in his weekly Critical Care Reviews newsletter.
- This is a beauty. You stick a BVM on a spontaneously breathing patient to preoxygenate them — what FiO2 are they getting? Well, it depends. Find out all about it from Nicholas Chrimes in Variability Of FiO2 Provided By Self Inflating BVM Devices During Spontaneous Ventilation.
- The Poison Review lets us all know that ECMO and the poisoned patient: ready for prime time? Although the literature is scarce – this has huge potential in severe cardiotoxic overdoses.
The Best of #FOAMPed Paediatrics
- Don’t Forget the Bubbles launched this week with some great collaborative paeds content and the promise of one new #foamped post being released each day for the first month. Get ready for some great new FOAM content (COI noted – Tessa Davis)
- St Emlyn’s published a great post by @richardbody on how we can keep everyone calm during stressful paediatric procedures.
- @EMtogether posted about scabies on MedEDMasters, the rash that we see often and that makes us feel itchy for the rest of day
News from the Fastlane
- Our very own Tessa Davis’ SMACC talk is out! Check out How To Create A Medical App.
- Are you ready to JAMM IT! Check out this great new education concept from some FOAMy rural docs.
- The SMACC GOLD website is live. Check out the preliminary program and awesome line up of speakers here.
LITFL Review EM/CC Educational Social Media Round Up
Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Blogroll Emergency Medicine and Critical Care Podcasts 123Sonography.com — ALiEM — Adventure Medicine— A Life at Risk — All LA Conference — Al Sacchetti’s Youtube — Bedside Ultrasound — Better in Emergency Medicine —boringem—Broome Docs— CCM-L.org — — Critical Care Perspectives in EM — Dave on Airways — Don’t Forget The Bubbles — DrGDH — Dr Smith’s ECG Blog — ECG Academy — ECG Guru — ECG of the Week—ED Exam — EM Nerd — ED-Nurse— EDTCC — EKG Videos— EM Basic — EM Core Content — EMCrit— EM CapeTown — EMDutch — Emergency Medical Abstract —EM Journey—EMERJENCYWEBB –EmergencyLondon — Emergency Medicine Cases — Emergency Medicine Education —Emergency Medicine News— Emergency Medicine Ireland — Emergency Medicine Tutorials—Emergency Medicine Updates —EM on the Edge —Emergucate —EM Journey — emimdoc — EM Literature of Note — empem.org — EMpills — Emergency Physicians Monthly — EM Lyceum — EMProcedures — EMRAP — EMRAP: Educators’ Edition — EMRAP.TV — EM REMS — ER CAST — EXPENSIVECARE — Free Emergency Medicine Talks — — Gmergency!—Got Resuscitation— Greater Sydney Area HEMS — HQmeded.com — ICU Rounds — Impactednurse —Injectable Orange — Intensive Care Network — iTeachEM — IVLine — keepcaring — Keeping Up With Emergency Medicine — KeeWeeDoc — KI Docs— LipheLongLurnERdok — MDaware — MD+ CALC — MedEDMasters — Medical Education Videos — Medicina d’urgenza — Medicine for the Outdoors — Micrognome — Movin’ Meat — Neurointensive Care — Pediatric EM Morsels — PEM ED — PEMLit —PEMTweets Blog — PHARM — Practical Evidence — Priceless Electrical Activity — Procedurettes — PulmCCM.org — Radiology Signs — Radiopaedia — Resus.com.au — Resus.ME — Resus Review — — Resus Room Management — Richard Winters’ Physician Leadership —ruralflyingdoc — SCANCRIT — SCCM Blogs — SCCM Podcast — SEMEP — SinaiEM — SinaiEM Ultrasound — SMART EM — SOCMOB — SonoSpot — StEmylns — Takeokun — thebluntdissection—The Central Line — The Ember Project —The Emergency Medicine Resident Blog — The Flipped EM Classroom — The NNT — The Poison Review — The Sharp End — The Short Coat —The Skeptics Guide to Emergency Medicine — The Sono Cave – The Trauma Professional’s Blog — underneathEM.com — ToxTalk — TJdogma — Twin Cities Toxicology — Ultrarounds — UMEM Educational Pearls —Ultrasound Podcast — Ultrasound Village