Approach to Mushroom Poisoning

Poisoning from ingestion of mushrooms occurs worldwide usually when wild mushrooms containing toxins are misidentified as comestible species, collected and eaten.  More than one individual may be poisoned simultaneously. The most common presentation is a benign self-limited gastrointestinal disturbance but a number of other important toxic syndromes including potentially lethal hepatotoxicity are recognised.  Assessment and management is based on the recognition of the principal clinical syndromes that may develop following ingestion of toxic mushrooms.  Patients may present with mixed poisoning after ingestion of multiple mushroom species.

References

  • Diaz JH.  Syndromic diagnosis and management of confirmed mushroom poisonings.  Critical Care Medicine 2006; 33:427-436.
  • Enjalbert F, Rapior S, Nouguier-Soulé J et al.  Treatment of amatoxin poisoning: 20-year retrospective analysis.  Journal of Toxicology Clinical Toxicology 2002; 40(6):715-757.

Toxicology Handbook

Print Friendly