Ingestion of button batteries is almost exclusively a paediatric problem. The majority pass easily and without complication through the gastrointestinal tract. Larger batteries may lodge in the oesophagus, causing significant complications.
- Alvi A, Bereliani A, Zahtz GD. Minature disc battery in the nose: A dangerous foreign body. Clinical Paediatics 1997; 36(7):427-429.
- Sheikh A. Button battery ingestions in children. Paediatric Emergency Care 1993; 9(4):224-229.
- Yardeni D, Yardeni H, Coran AG et al. Severe esophageal damage due to button battery ingestion: can it be prevented? Paediatric Surgery International 2004; 20:496-501.