Button Batteries

Ingestion of button batteries is almost exclusively a paediatric problem.  The majority pass easily and without complication through the gastrointestinal tract.  Larger batteries may lodge in the oesophagus, causing significant complications.

References

  • Alvi A, Bereliani A, Zahtz GD. Minature disc battery in the nose: A dangerous foreign body. Clinical Paediatics 1997; 36(7):427-429.
  • Sheikh A. Button battery ingestions in children.  Paediatric Emergency Care 1993; 9(4):224-229.
  • Yardeni D, Yardeni H, Coran AG et al. Severe esophageal  damage due to button battery ingestion: can it be prevented? Paediatric Surgery International 2004; 20:496-501.

Toxicology Handbook

Print Friendly