[1 vial $65.72 ]
PRESENTATION AND ADMINISTRATION:
Each 20ml vial contains 250mg of dobutamine
Add 250mg of dobutamine (20ml) to 80ml of compatible IV fluid (i.e. 250mg in 100ml)
Compatible with the following IV fluids:
Normal saline, Glucose and sodium chloride, 5% dextrose, 10% dextrose, Hartmanns
Store at room temperature
Protect from light
Administered by infusion at rates of 2.5-20 mcg/kg/min
DOSAGE IN RENAL FAILURE AND RENAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY:
- Dose as in normal renal function
DOSAGE IN PAEDIATRICS:
15mg/kg in 50ml of 5% dextrose or normal saline at 2.5-20mcg/kg/min (0.5-4ml/hr)
1ml/hr equals 5mcg/kg/min
- Dobutamine is a direct-acting inotropic agent whose primary activity results from stimulation of the beta2-receptors of the heart while producing comparatively mild chronotropic, hypertensive, arrhythmogenic, and vasodilative effects.
- idiopathic hypertrophic subaortic stenosis
- hypersensitivity to dobutamine
- Increase in Heart Rate or Blood Pressure:
Dobutamine may cause a marked increase in heart rate or blood pressure, especially systolic pressure.
- Ectopic Activity:
Dobutamine may precipitate or exacerbate ventricular ectopic activity, but only rarely causes ventricular tachycardia.
Reactions suggestive of hypersensitivity associated with administration of dobutamine in 5% dextrose injection, including skin rash, fever, eosinophilia, and bronchospasm, have been reported occasionally.
Hypovolemia should be corrected with suitable volume expanders before treatment with dobutamine
- Laboratory Tests:
No tests additional to routine ICU tests are indicated
- Drug/Laboratory Test Interactions:
IMPORTANT DRUG INTERACTIONS FOR THE ICU
- None of note
- Cardiovascular system:
Increased heart rate, hypotension, ventricular ectopy, atrial fibrillation, chest pain
- Respiratory system:
Shortness of breath
- Gastrointestinal system: