[1 tablet 9 cents]
- PO and IM
- relief of mild to moderate pain.
PRESENTATION AND ADMINISTRATION:
15mg and 30mg tablets (white)
50mg/1ml vials. Inject undiluted via IM route. This route of administration is rarely used
NOT FOR IV USE
- PO / IM:
15-60mg 4 hourly (max 300mg per day)
DOSAGE IN RENAL FAILURE AND RENAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY:
- Dose in renal impairment [GFR (ml/min)]
<10: 50-100% of normal dose
10-20: 50-100% of normal dose
>20-50: 75-100% of normal dose
- Dose in renal replacement therapy
CAPD: 50-100% of normal dose
HD: 75-100% of normal dose
CVVHDF: dose as in normal renal function
DOSAGE IN PAEDIATRICS:
0.5-1mg/kg 4 hourly
- Codeine phosphate is a centrally active analgesic
- Hypersensitivity to codeine.
- Approximately 10% of Caucasian patients do not produce the enzyme required to convert codeine from its pro-drug form. These patients will derive no benefit from codeine
The respiratory depressant effects of narcotics and their capacity to depress consciousness may be markedly exaggerated in the presence of head injury, other intracranial lesions, or a pre-existing increase in intracranial pressure.
- Laboratory Tests:
No tests in addition to routine ICU tests are indicated
- Drug/Laboratory Test Interactions:
IMPORTANT DRUG INTERACTIONS FOR THE ICU
- Codeine in combination with other narcotic analgesics, general anesthetics, phenothiazines, tranquilizers, sedative-hypnotics, or other CNS depressants (including alcohol) has additive depressant effects.
- Central Nervous System:
lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation.
- Gastrointestinal System:
Constipation, nausea, and vomiting.