[100mg enteric coated 2 cents per tablet]
- PO, NG
- Aspec, Aspro, Cartia, Cardiprin, Disprin, Solprin
- antiplatelet therapy for cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease
PRESENTATION AND ADMINISTRATION:
ICU carries Disprin 300mg tablets (non-enteric coated) and Aspirin Ethics 100mg (enteric coated). Store at room temperature.
For intubated patients use 1⁄2 a 300mg Disprin tablet daily crushed and administered via NG; for non-intubated patients use Aspirin Ethics 100mg (enteric coated) daily.
DOSAGE IN RENAL FAILURE AND RENAL REPLACEMENT THERAPY:
- Dose as in normal renal function
DOSAGE IN PAEDIATRICS:
Analgesia / antipyrexia:
10-15mg/kg 4-6 hrly;
10mg/kg 6hrly (low dose) OR 25mg/kg 6hrly (high dose) for 2 weeks then 3-5mg/kg daily
- Aspirin is a salicylate that has demonstrated antiplatelet, antiinflammatory, analgesic and antipyretic activity.
- Hypersensitivity to aspirin.
- Gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Subclinical GI blood loss is common; frank GI bleeding may occur
Aspirin tablets should be administered with caution to patients with asthma, nasal polyps, or nasal allergies.
- Laboratory Tests:
No tests in addition to routine ICU tests are indicated.
- Drug/Laboratory Test Interactions:
Salicylates can produce changes in thyroid function tests.
IMPORTANT DRUG INTERACTIONS FOR THE ICU
- Oral hypoglycaemics:
Large doses of salicylates have a hypoglycemic action and may enhance the effect of the oral hypoglycemics.
Serum phenytoin levels may be increased by aspirin. Anticoagulants: Combination with other anticoagulants increases the risk of bleeding
- Body as a Whole:
Headache and fever, anaphylaxis.
- Digestive System:
Dyspepsia, thirst, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, acute reversible hepatotoxicity, gastrointestinal bleeding, and/or ulceration.
- Nervous System:
Mental confusion, drowsiness, and dizziness
Urticaria, angioedema, and pruritus.
- Haematological System:
Prolongation of bleeding time, leukopaenia, thrombocytopaenia, purpura, decreased plasma iron concentration and shortened erythrocyte survival time.
- Special Senses:
Tinnitus, vertigo, reversible hearing loss, and dimness of vision.