aka Own the Airway in Audio 003
OK Airway freaks, the next installment of Minh Le Cong‘s ‘Own the Airway Audio’ podcast is here!
This month RFDS’s airway kung fu master talks to Dr Toby Fogg from Royal North Shore Hospital about his work on an Australasian ED Registry: www.airwayregistry.org.au. Cliff Reid had a great Resus.ME post on Toby’s work recently, triggered by Toby’s response to the recent LITFL blogpost featuring George Douros and the Austin’s RSI Checklist and Action Plan.
This interview discusses:
- the interesting findings from the airway registry at Sydney’s North Shore Hospital
- the implementation and impact of RSI checklists on teamwork and outcomes
- issues of airway skill acquisition and maintenance
- the role of video laryngoscopes, sux versus roc and cricoid pressure
- and a call to get involved in an Australasian wide ED airway registry and start saving the world one emergency intubation at a time!
Listen to the interview (23 min 11 sec) here:
or click here to download the mp3
Credit for audio samples: Bruce Lee fighting Chuck Norris, The Eagles, Bruce Lee
References and further reading
- Emergency Medicine Updates — Emergency Department Intubation Checklist v12
- LITFL — RSI Checklist and Action Plan
- LITFL — Own the Airway! (collection of online airway videos)
- NAP4 March 2011 — Major complications of airway management in the United Kingdom (download documents from here)
- Project Check — Checklist for Checklist Development
- Resus.ME — Australasian ED Airway Registry
- Resus.ME — Anaesthesia’s dirty laundry – let’s all learn from it
- Resus.ME — Intubation of the critically ill in Scotland
- Resus.ME — Intubation checklist