This fabulous SMACC CLUB entry comes from ‘the Candiroos’ (find out what a Candiru is here).
The Candiroos, hailing from the USA, are:
- Leon Gussow MD FACMT RDMS – University of Illinois-Chicago, Emergency Medicine Lecturer
- Steve Aks DO – Medical Toxicology Fellowship Director, Cook County Hospital, Chicago
- Timothy Erickson MD — Professor of Emergency Medicine and Medical Toxicology, University of Illinois – Chicago
They review the following must-know papers from the tox literature:
- Baumann BM, Patterson RA, Parone DA, Jones MK, Glaspey LJ, Thompson NM, Stauss MP, Haroz R. Use and efficacy of nebulized naloxone in patients with suspected opioid intoxication. Am J Emerg Med. 2013 Jan 21. doi:pii: S0735-6757(12)00528-1. 10.1016/j.ajem.2012.10.004. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 23347721.
- Lee M, Silverman SM, Hansen H, Patel VB, Manchikanti L. A comprehensive review of opioid-induced hyperalgesia. Pain Physician. 2011 Mar-Apr;14(2):145-61. Review. PubMed PMID: 21412369.
- BARNES JH. CAUSE AND EFFECT IN IRUKANDJI STINGINGS. Med J Aust. 1964 Jun 13;1:897-904. PubMed PMID: 14172390.
Listen to the audio here, courtesy of GMEP:
NB. I’ve had problems playing the GMEP audio in Firefox, though it works well in Safari. Hence I’ve also uploaded the audio onto Soundcloud here: