Toxbase allows the user access to the Poisons Database. All the information about drug toxicity, side effects and monitoring can be easily looked up on your iPhone.
Design and User Interface
- I wouldn’t say the design sets the heather alight. It’s pretty bland and basic. But on the other hand, it’s very easy to navigate – the UI is simple and intuitive. It is a text-based app but there is no reason why it couldn’t look nice
Toxbase iPhone app has four features
- Poisons database – allowing the user to search for any drug and view the toxicity info about it (accessing the same information that can be viewed via their website)
- News flashes – information about drug alerts, product withdrawal and new for toxicology trainees
- Alerts – the ability to send out urgent alerts to users if needed
- Dosage calculator – make a quick calculation of the mg/kg that your patient has ingested
The database is the main event in this app and I have used it multiple times since I downloaded it last month. In some hospitals I’ve worked in, access to Toxbase hasn’t been straightforward, especially if you are on the ward rather than in ED and want to look at the tox info. This way it’s easy to access. The calculator is a nice extra features too – simple but a handy feature to have within the app.
- $10.49 for a one year subscription – this is a reasonable cost and well worth the expense
Room for Improvement
- A more pleasing design wouldn’t go amiss
This app is great. Whether in ED or on the ward it is extremely useful and very easy to use. Information about drug toxicity can be accessed within seconds. One not to miss