Describe the use of amiodarone in the emergency department, including its indications and limitations. (100%)
FACEM SAQ Exam 2006.2 – Question 3
- The overall pass rate for this question was 37/57 (64.9%).
- Pass Criteria
- Examiners considered that this question worked well as it tested a widely used Emergency Department drug.
- Candidates were expected to show good knowledge of currently accepted indications and acute toxicity.
- Extra marks were allocated for those showing knowledge of recent clinical trials and for discussing areas of clinical controversy.
- Features of unsuccessful answers
- Candidates who failed the question did not address all the standard indications, showed poor knowledge of common problems with acute use and did not state appropriate dosing schedules.